MissClark

William Joyce
Perfect Scoundrels
Ally Carter
Magic Bites -  Ilona Andrews 2.5 stars

This was a fairly hard book for me to get into, as you, the reader, are just thrust into this in the not-so-distant-future version of Atlanta, where magic is a part of life, as is technology, and , necromancers, shapeshifters, truly creepy vampires, and all sorts of other magic creatures exist and vie for power. You don't why some things are waht they are or who this is and it takes a while to get acclimated. The authors offer no intros and you just need to pay attention. It is definitely urban fantasy, but not as gloomy and doom-ridden as most I've encountered. At times it tries a little too hard to be funny, but it still succeeds in being an amusing read, not too gritty and dark, though that is still a part of the atmosphere. Some very cliche phrases and tropes are noticeable in the writing, which I hope are improved upon in further installments. Kate, while a good character, is a bit cold and hard to relate to, but she gets a bit better as the book progresses and I think we will get to see a lot of development with her character.

(My guess is Kate is Roland's daughter, since she was able to break the blood ward and she did not seem overwhelmingly powerful magic-wise and that Curran is not an ordinary shapeshifter. We'll see.)

Content advisory: Dialogue, sexual content, violence. You have been forewarned.