MissClark

The Sandman: The Story of Sanderson Mansnoozie
William Joyce
Perfect Scoundrels
Ally Carter
Cry Wolf - Patricia Briggs After reading several reviews of the "Mercy Thompson" series by Patricia Briggs, I looked them up at my library and checked out all her other books for good measure at the same time. Unfortunately, despite some nice aspects, the Mercy books did not capture my interest, but this other series did. I enjoyed it and was very glad the second book was there to read back-to-back. What I really want is book three, Here. Now.

But I must wait...

So, the good stuff. I loved the characters, from beaten-but-not-broken Anna to Charles the Enforcer (but an all around great guy) to the awesome Alpha-of-all-Alphas Bran, with the mysterious Moorish wolf Asil, a crazy witch and some lively locals thrown in, not to mention pack politics, local relations with humans and the greater plot of the werewolves revealing themselves to the world. It had solid pacing, a decent, self-contained main plot, with enough story to justify a series, as well as plenty of room for character/emotional development.

Any critiques? Other than the cover art? I would have liked more background for the main characters, a less hurried climax and more characterization of some of the minor characters. Otherwise, a fun, quick read and a good start to what promises to be a very enjoyable series.

Be sure to read the short story Alpha and Omega in the collection On the Prowlbefore reading this first book. Quite essential.

Content advisory: There is the usual action/violence and sexual content that is par for the course in adult urban fantasy. But on the softer side. you have been forewarned.