MissClark

The Sandman: The Story of Sanderson Mansnoozie
William Joyce
Perfect Scoundrels
Ally Carter
Sweet Deception: Why Splenda, NutraSweet, and the FDA May Be Hazardous to Your Health - Joseph Mercola, Kendra Degen Pearsall A very useful resource for people interested in learning more about artificial sweeteners, as well as the FDA and its practices in general. It is by no means exhaustive and independent research is always important, but this is a good starting place.

It has never been my habit to believe claims made about new products or even older ones whenever a new study or research shows such and such. They scientific and medical community changes its mind far too often and as our knowledge increases, assumptions made in the past, once believed to be incontrovertible, are shown to be false or misguided and so it will always be as we continue to learn and discover. That does not mean you give up trying to know and be informed, but caution and a willingness to accept new evidence is crucial.

Do I think Splenda and Aspertame and all these other chemical-based sweeteners are responsible for all the things claimed? Not really. Some of them? Likely. Am I going to ingest or imbibe something containing them again? Definitely. But the knowledge of what they really are certainly makes me more cautious in how much I'll be eating them and I appreciate what the author is trying to communicate.

I found the economics and politics particularly interesting, esp. the level of control the companies have over the federal agencies that are supposed to be regulating them, as well as in turn the power retail conglomerates have over suppliers and over and over again the true loser is the consumer.