MissClark

William Joyce
Perfect Scoundrels
Ally Carter
Wisdom's Kiss - Catherine Gilbert Murdock 2.5 stars

Adequate and occasionally charming in its language, the varying styles can be a bit jarring. It moves from the third-person memoirs of Trudy to history book entries on the places and characters to letters from Ben to her granddaughter Temperance. Temperance is at home while Ben and her other granddaughter Wisdom/Dizzy travel to Farina for Dizzy to eb wed to Duke Roger. Then there are Dizzy's own diary entries and excerpts from a play detailing the events by an anonymous author and the overly florid, self-aggrandizing account of a theatrical swordsman of the Emperor's Circus. The differing perspectives could and have been employed to great effect, but given that I never really came to like or care about any of these characters, I never was interested in seeing how things were resolved.

Initially, I liked the idea of Trudy and Tip, but their relationship was demoted in favor of Tip Immediately falling in love with Dizzy, who frankly came across as vapid, callous, incredibly self-centered and a brat. She too at first sight/first words becomes rapturously enamoured of Tip and Must be with him. Neither of them give a fig for Trudy and how this impacts her.

I did like the glossary at the end....