MissClark

William Joyce
Perfect Scoundrels
Ally Carter
The Unnaturalists - Tiffany Trent
It was difficult for me to grasp the world and I never did warm up to the characters. I thought the book was written fine, just never caught my interest. And it was pretty depressing overall. All the elementals and tinkers killed and murdered to support a society intent on destroying everything and living vapid, vacuous lives.

Lucy was perhaps the scariest of all the characters. No soul. No goal in life other than power and control. Wounding with casual cruelty and then smiling and laughing with truly no care a moment later.

The Wad was a let-down.

I figured out about the "Empress" and her mute daughter Olivia pretty much once they were introduced.

Bayne and Vespa had zero-chemistry. Their romance was entirely forced for me.

Felt sorry for Syrus and all his family:( I wish there had been more resolution for him.

I wish they had better explained New London and Scientia, the work of the Unnaturalists and the duties of Pedants, the nature of this fantastical world and how exactly Saint Tesla and the others brought them to this world or parallel dimension or alternate universe. Whichever. I wanted a bit more context for this society and their beliefs, their strange scientific religion with Saint Darwin and Saint Tesla, etc.

So, overall, a pass for me. Very creative, though, if a tad mechanical in the writing. I will be keeping an eye out to see what Trent comes up with next.