MissClark

The Sandman: The Story of Sanderson Mansnoozie
William Joyce
Perfect Scoundrels
Ally Carter
Hearts at Stake (The Drake Chronicles, #1) - Alyxandra Harvey The Drake family is one of the few ancient vampire families into which vampires are born, not made. Solange Drake is the first girl to be born into the Drake family, thus fulfilling an ancient prophecy that says she will rule the vampires. Obviously, this irritates and worries the current vampire rulers, notably Lady Natasha and Montmartre, who each have their special way of dealing with this unwanted threat to their power struggle. Lady Natasha puts a bounty on Solange (after having exiled the ...more The Drake family is one of the few ancient vampire families into which vampires are born, not made. Solange Drake is the first girl to be born into the Drake family, thus fulfilling an ancient prophecy that says she will rule the vampires. Obviously, this irritates and worries the current vampire rulers, notably Lady Natasha and Montmartre, who each have their special way of dealing with this unwanted threat to their power struggle. Lady Natasha puts a bounty on Solange (after having exiled the entire Drake family for years), while Montmartre, who comes off as even creepier than her (and that is no mean feat), tries to court her.

Solange, who is not all that keen on becoming a vampire, much less ever ruling them, feels stifled by her family that is simply trying to protect her and it is only her human friend, Lucy Hamilton, that helps draw her out of her lassitude and worry. Lucy, who is a main character in her own right, is not only worrying about her best friend who may die when she changes on her upcoming 16th Birthday, but is also thrown by her newfound crush on Solange's brother Nicholas.

Then that bounty gets put out on Solange and her family and everything goes all to heck. Solange is taken by Natasha, falls for Kieran Black, the vampire hunter who tried to kill her at the beginning of our story, and just barely survives her change. Lucy and Nicholas go after Solange, only to get thrown in jail and then help save Solange (not through any brilliant plotting on their behalf), and amongst all the goings on they declare their mutual attraction.

The plot seems really brief and bare-boned, but we get that more and more with series. *sigh* Things were also a bit rushed and there were moments when I was not sure quite what was going on. Everybody falling in love was a bit unbelievable. Nicholas and Lucy I can buy because they have known each other for so long, but Kieran and Solange did not feel authentic. At least, not at this point. The writing style was very contemporary and efficient. I enjoyed this vision of the vampire world, the Drake family in particular. (Helena is so bad-ass!) But I really wish that they had all been fleshed out. Hopefully in the future books we will get some more depth and personality behind all these family members. Also, our villains.