MissClark

The Sandman: The Story of Sanderson Mansnoozie
William Joyce
Perfect Scoundrels
Ally Carter
The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls - Claire Legrand I hate it when GR eats my review. You spend forever typing it and it actually expresses what you were thinking pretty darn well and then GONE. Forever.

So, now you get this.

2.5 - 3 stars

I almost needed to create a new shelf for this one: Creepy books you should not read before bed.

I liked Victoria and thought that she was a fantastic character. She is prickly and callous and cold and you are not at all sure that you should really care about her. After all, look at the way that she treats Lawrence. But when he goes missing, it is up to Victoria to find him because no one else is going to make an effort. So, Victoria has to make some choices. Hard, scary decisions. And they define who she is and who she chooses to be.

There is also a lot about conformity and appearances, perception vs. reality and the very unsettling reminder of what unimaginable horrors society will happily accept as long as it allows them to continue to live the way that they wish, does not immediately effect them and feeds into their obsession with attaining an impossible perfection.